How much tax you owe in taxes is your tax liability. For the employees, consultation of tax tables for the year and calculation of your income tax on Form 1040 is usually a simple matter.

It is a little more complicated for those who are self-employed or run a business.

In this post, according to your business form, we will direct you in the process of tax calculation. We’re only focusing on federal tax, but with a state tax calculator, you can calculate your state tax burden.

A 20-second summary of how to calculate tax liability?

Figure out how much tax your company owes on federal income is with your type of company. If your company is a C, it shall be taxed twice, both at the level of companies and shareholders. The tax rate on your income is 21 percent flat.

If your company is not a C company, your tax rate will depend on your taxable income and your filing status.

How to calculate tax liability from taxable income

You are entitled to your taxable income minus tax deductions. Gross tax liability minus tax deductions are your overall income tax liability, which you are eligible for.

However, you need to understand your entity type before you can start cropping numbers. You can calculate taxes accordingly.

What’s your entity type?

There are several forms of business (C company, alliance, single prop, etc). There are several different types of businesses. But there are only C corporations and all else to figure out how much tax your small business owes. Ask your accountant if you are unsure of your entity type. If you have a small transaction, no accountant, and have never been thinking of the type of company, you will probably automatically be classified as the sole proprietor by the government.

The only company type to pay corporate income tax is corporations. This is regarded as a “pass-through” corporation if you do not have a C company since income and losses pass from the company to owners and shareholders, who pay tax at their own tax rates.

How to figure out your tax rate if you’re a C corp?

In addition to the graduated corporate rate schedule with 8 different tax brackets, the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act greatly simplified tax calculations for C corporations with a flat 21 percent tax rate.

In other words, your income tax rate will be 21 percent if you own a C company, irrespective of the extent to which your business is taxable.

Double taxation for C corporations?

With the structure of the tax regime, companies C are taxed twice: at corporate and, when the profits are distributed to owners as a dividend, again at the shareholder level. And if Charlie Chocolates Inc. paid $1 million in sales to owners, the owners of Charlie’s Chocolates Inc. will have to pay again their taxes as they file their individual tax returns.

One way for companies to avoid dual taxation is to be an S company instead of a C company. S businesses are flow-through firms, and thus corporate profit is not taxed. However, certain inconveniences in selecting S corporate status can outweigh tax savings. We suggest that you request this from your CPA.

How to figure out your tax rate if you’re not a C corp?

If you are not a C-company, then you must pay the taxes yourself instead of the corporation. This means you are a flow-through organization.

Your tax rate will depend on the taxable income of the company and the status of your tax filing.

Whether you’re alone and:

Your total taxable income is: Your taxes are:
$0 – $9,700 10% of your taxable income
$9,701 – $39,475 $970 plus 12% of any income you made above $9,700
$39,476 – $84,200 $4,543.50 plus 22% of any income you made above $39,475
$84,201 – $160,725 $14,382.50 plus 24% of any income you made above $84,200
$160,7265 – $204,100 $32,748.50 plus 32% of any income you made above $160,725
$204,101 – $510,300 $46,628.50 plus 35% of any income you made above $204,100
$510,301+ $153,798.50 plus 37% of any income you made above $510,300

If you’re married and file a joint income tax return with your spouse and:

Your total taxable income is: Your taxes are:
$0 – $19,400 10% of your taxable income
$19,401 – $78,950 $1,940 plus 12% of any income you made above $19,400
$78,951 – $168,400 $9,086 plus 22% of any income you made above $78,950
$168,401 – $321,450 $28,765 plus 24% of any income you made above $168,400
$321,451- $408,200 $65,497 plus 32% of any income you made above $321,450
$408,201 – $612,350 $93,257 plus 35% of any income you made above $408,200
$612,351+ $164,709.50 plus 37% of any income you made above $612,350

An example makes this clearer

Consider an example of how an assumed flow-through entity could determine the amount of federal tax that it owes on the basis of such tax tables. Suppose Wally’s Widges ends in 2018 at $300,000 in taxable income, and Wally is filing with his wife, Wendy, a joint declaration of tax.

Wally’s tax owed would be:

$28,765 + 24% of the amount over $168,400 (or $31,584).

The calculation: $28,765 + $31,584 = $60,349 total tax due for our friend Wally.

Reduce your taxes with credits and deductions?

By taking advantage of specific tax breaks, including both tax loans, you can reduce the amount of taxes your company pays.

For tax deductions, you may choose to make a single lump deduction of $12,000 for single payers, $18,000 to the heads of households, or $24,000 for married filings jointly. For taxes, you may opt to either include a deduction or a standard deduction.

You probably want to claim the standard deduction if you don’t have many deductions to claim.

You will probably want to individualize if you have many deductions. Check the large list of small business tax deductions to claim every deduction that you may have.

See the Big List of the United States see what tax credits you could qualify for. Tax credits for Small Business.

Making estimated tax payments?

The income tax payment deadline, which falls mid-April, is believed by many business owners to be the “tax date” But, as they are, federal income taxes have to be paid. This means that most small businesses will make calculated year-round tax payments based on their gross taxable profits at year-end.

Paying employment taxes?

Besides income taxes, your small business may also have to pay wage labor taxes paid to your employees. This is true no matter whether you have an entity and employees. It is true. Typically, these taxes include:

1. Social Security tax: 12.4% on wages paid up to $132,900 (for 2019). Social security tax. The other half is deducted from their salaries and you will pay half this for each employee.

2. Tax on Medicare: 2.9% of wages paid without a salary limit. Again, for every employee, you’ll pay half that.

3.Federal income tax (or FUTA): In general, it covers 6 percent of each employee’s first $7,000 in salary. This can be reduced by the amount of money paid into the unemployment fund in your state, which can cut your unemployment tax rate to only 0,6 percent.

While your employees pay a portion of these taxes, your company will take care that the money is withheld and transferred to the IRS.

Remember that you would have to pay a tax on self-employment if you are a self-employed single business owner. It is the total amount of your social safety liabilities and Medicare tax liabilities because you do not have to pay half the income tax for a separate employer.

The next step: paying your taxes

It is only the first step to determine how much money your small company owes in tax. You will actually have to pay taxes once you have figured that out. We have a few thoughts that allow you to save enough money to pay the next tax bill.

Please also visit: How to Read a Cash Flow Statement
Tax Consequences to Avoid When Converting from LLC to C Corp